The Henley Art and Crafts Guild was founded in 1953 and celebrated its 60th anniversary in 2013. The HACG exhibitions used to be held in the Henley Bridge Gallery (boat house below the Carpenter’s Arms) until 1972 when a new venue was needed. The Exhibition Secretary at the time, Joan Inwood, discovered that the Old Fire Station was not in use and looked rather suitable. After many discussions it was leased to HACG as an Exhibition Centre (see PDF below for full history). The Centre became part of Henley Town Council in 1976 and the Guild ran it on behalf of the Council until 1989.
Many changes have taken place over the years and, with the provision of a new hanging system in 2013 as a joint venture between the Guild and the Town Council, the Gallery is now a very great asset to Henley’s burgeoning artistic Community. It is used by a wide variety of artists for most weeks of the year and the Guild has all three exhibitions each year in the OFS Gallery, as it is fondly known.